1. HPP process
An innovative method of food preservation, which consists in treating the product with high pressure. In this process, the temperature does not increase, so that the preserved products retain maximum nutritional value and unchanged values (color, aroma, consistency). The high pressure affects the microbial cells, causing irreversible changes in them. HPP can also inactivate enzymes responsible for the deterioration of food quality (e.g. changes in consistency, color). Low molecular weight compounds such as vitamins, dyes and flavors remain intact. The HPP-preserved product has many biologically active compounds that have a positive effect on the human body.
2. What can be preserved with this method?
The HPP process can be used in:
- Meat industry (raw meat, raw fermented meat products, sausages, cured meat, cooked meat products)
- Fish industry (fish, seafood, ready meals)
- Dairy industry (milk, fermented milk drinks, cheese)
- Fruit and vegetable industry (guacamole and avocado pulp, salsa, sauces, dressings, hummus, fruit and vegetable puree, fruit salads, vegetable baby food, protein-based baby food)
- Juice and drinks industry (juices, smoothies, plant-based milk, coffee and tea based drinks)
- Ready meals industry (salads, soups, pizza, casseroles, sauces, dumplings, pasta, rice dishes)
- Pet’s food
- Advantages of the HPP process
- Preserving the maximum nutritional value: The method of preserving food without the use of temperature does not destroy vitamins, does not cause negative changes in flavour, taste, color or consistency. In the case of meat preservation, there are no changes in the fatty acid profile and cholesterol is not oxidized
- Elimination of undesirable processes: In the event of thermal processing, burning, loss of juiciness, formation of harmful compounds, e.g. carcinogenic Maillard compounds, may occur
- Food safety: HPP destroys pathogens (Salmonella, E. Coli, Listeria, Vibrio, norovirus etc.) and food spoilage microorganisms (lactic acid bacteria, coliform bacteria etc.)
- Extended shelf life: Depending on the product, it is possible to extend the shelf life from 3x to 10x, while ensuring the high quality of the product.
- Clean label: HPP is effective in reducing or eliminating the use of preservatives or additives in food.
- No cross-contamination: The products are fixed after the packaging stage, hence there is no possibility of food contamination with allergens
- Streamline your supply chain operations. Thanks to the extended shelf life, it is possible to optimize production planning and scaling operations.
- New market opportunities. For some products, such as cured ham, it is the only technology that allows producers to safely enter foreign markets (eg Japan, USA).
Increasing the extraction efficiency of shellfish meat. HPP technology at low pressure (300MPa) is used to open the clams and remove meat from the shellfish, increasing the working efficiency.
- Reduce food waste. HPP helps prevent food waste on both store shelves and in the consumer refrigerator because it has an extended shelf life.
- Packaging selection
When choosing the packaging material, its flexibility should be taken into account, because by using high pressures, we bring about temporary compression.
An equally important aspect. The HPP process is carried out in an aquatic environment, and by operating with high pressures, we must guarantee the tightness of the packaging.
Degree of filling the package:
It is most advantageous to fill the package with the product as much as possible in order to minimize the air space.
This has an impact on the efficiency of pascalization, selection of parameters and deformation of packaging.
HPP is carried out in an aqueous environment, therefore it is necessary to select waterproof labels (heat-shrinkable and vinyl labels with rubber adhesive) or to eliminate labels in favor of printing directly on the packaging.
|Type of packaging||Packaging material||Type of closure||Closure material||Barrier|
|Bottle||PET, HDPE||Screw cap (induction foil possible)||PP, HDPE (Al, LDPE)||EVOH|
|Sachet||LDPE, HDPE||Screw cap, welded foil membrane||PP, HDPE||EVOH, Nylon, Al., Silicon oxides|
|cup, tube||PP, HDPE||Welded foil membrane||PET, PE, PP||EVOH|
|Tray||PE, PP, HDPE, APET, CPET, HDPE||Welded PET film membrane.||PE. PP||EVOH|
|Vacum||PE, PET||Welded membrane||n / a||EVOH, Nylon|